Overbite, dişlerin üst ve alt sıralarının karşılaşması sırasında üst dişlerin alt dişlerden daha fazla öne çıkması durumudur. Bu rahatsızlığın tedavisi için farklı seçenekler mevcuttur. Bu makalede, overbite hakkında detaylı bilgi edinebilir ve tedavi yöntemleri hakkında bilgi sahibi olabilirsiniz.
What Is Overbite?
Overbite is a dental condition where the upper teeth excessively overlap the lower teeth. It is a very common orthodontic problem that affects both adults and children all over the world. Some people refer to this condition as “buck teeth” or “overjet”.
What Causes Overbite?
The cause of overbite is mainly genetic, meaning it can be passed down from parents to their children. There are other factors that contribute to overbite development, such as:
- Thumb sucking or pacifier use in childhood
- Mouth breathing
- Tongue thrusting
- Poorly fitting dental restorations
- Reverse swallow
How Is Overbite Treated?
The treatment for overbite depends on the severity of the condition. Mild cases may not require any treatment, while severe cases may require orthodontic treatment. Here are some of the common methods used to treat overbite:
- Braces: This is the most common method of treating overbite. Braces are used to gradually move the teeth into their correct positions.
- Invisalign: This is another orthodontic treatment that involves using clear aligners to move the teeth over time. It is a discreet alternative to traditional braces.
- Retainers: Retainers are used to prevent the teeth from shifting back into their original positions after orthodontic treatment.
- Surgery: In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to correct overbite. This is usually a last resort and is only recommended if other treatments have failed.
What Are The Consequences Of Untreated Overbite?
If left untreated, overbite can lead to a number of dental and health problems. Here are some of the consequences of untreated overbite:
- Speech problems
- Difficulty chewing
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Gum disease and tooth decay due to misaligned teeth
- Low self-esteem and confidence
Overbite is a common dental condition that can be treated effectively with the right treatment. It is important to seek treatment for overbite as soon as possible to prevent any further complications. If you think you may have overbite, consult your dentist or orthodontist for an evaluation.